Monday, October 16, 2006

Interesting Financial Insight from Rabbi Nachman

In an interview with Shuli and Michal Rand, of Ushpizin fame, that appeared in the latest Jewish Action, Shuli Rand shared an interesting insight from Rabbi Nachman that I find rings true. And so, I thought I'd share that insight:

"Rabbi Nachman claimed that overcoming one's desire for money, despising money, is a prerequisite for attaining the highest spiritual levels (Likutei Maharan, part A, chap. 60). It may seem paradoxical, but he argued that only people who actually possess money are capable of genuinely overcoming the desire for money."

I believe there is something to be said for financial comfort (which I will loosely define as not having to worry about how to pay the upcoming bills, not be beholden to creditors, and having the ability to enjoy some luxuries if one chooses). I believe being financially comfortable has the ability to keep the yetzer hara further away.

I hope that this thought will contribute to the spiritual end of some of the discussions on the Orthonomics blog.

Back with more thoughts on budgeting, spending, debt, and credit later.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

CHAZAL TELL US TO BE A NAVI ONE OF THE PREREQUISITS IS THAT YOU HAD TO BE RICH WE SEE EVEN MOSHE HAD TO GOTO THE MITZRIM AND ASK FOR THEIR WEALTH SO HE TO CAN BE RICH

Orthonomics said...

Mike-Great comments. I agree with your assessments. Thanks for contributing.

Anon-You too. Thanks for the addition.

Lion of Zion said...

"financial comfort (which I will loosely define . . ."

i like to define it as the luxury of walking into a store and not having to be fixated on pricetags. or not having to decide between buying two things because you only have enough $ for one.

Orthonomics said...

Welcome Ari.
I think your definition is also a good one. :)
Hope to see you back.

Orthonomics said...

I took Ari's comment as one that not every dollar needs to be budgeted ahead of time, not that one can just spend freely (a quick way to end up in the poorhouse).

queeniesmom said...

Like most people, I don't despise or envey money, I just have to consider every dollar very carefully in light of my escalating tuition bill. I would love to be able to go into a store, low to moderate, and not do a math lesson in my head (discount, etc). This is the crux of the matter for many observant families. on paper we're wealthy, but in reality we're all struggling.

Orthonomics said...

Hi Queensie-It is easy to go broke without doing that math lesson. I don't know what we save by considering each dollars, but my guess is that is well over $100 a month. Probably more.

Unfortunately, many people assume because they pull in a good salary that they can spend freely and end up broke. Probably the subject of a future topic.