Friday, March 24, 2006

Politically Correct Nursery Rhyme?

My husband likes to bring me articles that I would find interesting, or funny, or both. This one is definitely qualifies. Apparantely, teachers at schools in Oxfordshire, England, has changed the words of the famous nursery rhyme "Baa, Baa, Black Sheep' to "Baa, Baa, Rainbow Sheep." The teachers believe the lyrics could be offensive.

Well, here in the SephardiFamily, we will continue to sing "Baa, Baa, Black Sheep." And, if I was a sheep, I'd be offended that I went from Black to Rainbow (the symbol of the gay movement).

Incidently, black has nothing to do with race and everything to do with taxes imposed on wool in the 18th century. Black wool was taxed at a lower rate.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's absolutely ridiculous.

It reminds me of the retelling of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs in Bloom County, where it was reworked to "Coal Black and the Seven Huge Honkies."