Monday, May 29, 2006

Memorial Day Thoughts

(On a different, more personal note).

This year, Memorial Day has personal tangible personal meaning to me. A number of my high school classmates have been a on tour of duty in Iraq, and one very driven classmate who dreamed of serving in the Armed Forces gave his life for this country one year ago in an elite Special Forces Unit.

I feel fortunate that I went to a high school where being admitted to one of the Military Academies was a more coveted honor than being admitted into an Ivy League, and where enlisting in the Armed Forces was something that was encouraged and deemed honorable. While much of the media paints a picture of the military man (or women) as "victim" of circumstances with few choices in life that was "forced" to enlist in this county, I know that this image is a fallacy. My classmates who enlisted were honorable, driven, and dreamed of serving this nation with pride. It is hard for me not to be jealous of their love for this country and what they are accomplishing in life.

Today we went to a parade and some ceremonies in honor of Memorial Day. The tradition of the day and the music seemed to have more meaning than ever.. I happen to have a special liking for John Phillip Sousa Marches, but somehow today these marches seemed more regal than ever. And, I shed tears and chills went up my spin when the song "I'm so Proud to be an American" was played on the loud speakers.

Having a neighbor and classmate who died so recently to remember definitely brings new meaning to the day. Today, I honor your memory and wish your wife, son, and family all of the best. I know they are extremely proud of you. I also pray for the safety of our other classmates who are serving this country with pride. What all of you are accomplishing is truly admirable.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

My brother went to West Point and I was a near miss,having received my congressional nomination but withdrawing my application to the Academy when I realized that I would have to compromise on Shabbos.

That being said, I have to agree that the media tends to inaccurately portray our men and women in uniform as dead end dupes suckered by the system.
What a shame how they degrade our heroes.

Anonymous said...

Above comment was mine, forgot to login.

Anonymous said...

Very good post.

Our tradition teaches that we should pray for the peace of our government (Pirkei Avos 3:2, R. Chanina segan HaCohanim, and elsewhere). I would think that that includes praying for our armed forces as well. I regularly pray for them and others should too. This is especially so when they represent a country that has been so good to our people. G-d bless America !

Around the beginning of the current Iraq war, I recall a special prayer service for our troops in Manhattan by the O-U. Also they have circulated a fine special prayer for our forces which can be seen at
http://www.ou.org/public/statements/2001/PrayerForSoldiers.htm
Take a look and put it to use !

queeniesmom said...

Wonderful post that needs to be said, especially as many of our yeshivot act as if these holidays don't exist.

I'm Haaretz, Ph.D. said...

It's hard for many of us to relate to memorial day peronally when (1) we're not originally American, (2) we don't know anyone in the Armed Forces and (3) the whole community downplays it, so there's very little connection. So I appreciate your words a lot!

Orthonomics said...

Welcome back PhD. I think you are correct that the lack of appreciation comes from the lack of connection. It would be great to see communities increase that connection by dedicating the learning in honor of fallen service men and women or bringing in some military people in to speak about fighting for freedom abroad.

I know that whenever I see a man or women in uniform that I can't help but say thank you. I hope it rubs off on my kids as they get older.

cool yiddishe mama said...

What has always burned me up was the lack of patriotism in the charedi community. I noticed this immediately after 9/11. While the rest of the country became dotted with Stars and Stripes, I saw but a few in my neighborhood. No one could give me a logical answer why they are not supportive of this nation.

cool yiddishe mama said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Orthonomics said...

I recall seeing beautiful pictures from Brooklyn of the Yeshivot (Chaim Berlin being one I can recall clearly) hanging large flags out for display. Sorry to hear your residence did not have the same amount of red, white, and blue.