Tuesday, July 11, 2006

The Price of Gas

Today, while searching for a constantly disappearing pen in my glove compartment, I ended up tackling another project: cleaning the glove compartment. On top of finding an old insurance policy, maps for a number of cities I no longer live in, and a number of receipts for service, I found a gas log which I stopped keeping about a little over three years ago.

I am not sure why I had a gas log except for the fact that my parents always kept one and encouraged me to do the same. I'm sure it served a purpose for them, since they were self-employed. For me, it didn't serve as much of a purpose, which is why I discontinued my records. But, it did seem to ensure that I always had a pen on hand, which is useful!

Purpose or no purpose, finding this log was like a walk down memory lane. I only looked at my log for just 2002 and the first half of 2003. During this time, I never paid less than $1.27 per gallon and I never paid more than $2.08 per gallon. The price averaged around $1.50 a gallon.

It is hard to believe that the price of gas has doubled in just about four years. I'm glad that during this time, our "need" for constant travel has been cut drastically and that our efficient vehicles are still going strong (may they live to 120). The other amazing thing was that in the last three years I have put on only a fraction of the mileage that I put on in the three years prior. I have to say that it is great living so close to public transportation and the grocery store. Better the mileage be put on our tennis shoes, than our tires.

I'm sure the high prices are really stretching some families to the limit. . . Especially our neighbors and friends that drive large passenger vans and have a lot of places to go, with large loads of kids. I find it shocking that when I pump $20 of gas into one of our cars. It is hard to believe I haven't seen any neighbors or friends have a heart attack at the pump.

So, is the price of gas really affecting your budget, or are you one of the lucky ones?

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

High gas prices are a big problem - however - in a gas crisis - the best place to live is the Tri-State area - because we have such a great mass transit system - for most things - it is more economical to live elsewere in the US - but for gas NY/Nj/CT is the place to be

Michael said...

After another weekend of commuting from DC-NY-DC this past Sunday evening (I drove up Sunday morning for business) I pondered this question after noting that gas prices had shot up about ten cents in the past week.

It has definitely affected my bank account but it's still cheaper than taking Amtrak, flying, and more time efficient than taking a bus. That leaves me with no viable alternative (aside from rides with friends who happen to be traveling in the same direction at the same time!) I've learned to cope with it and refrain from unnecessary purchases elsewhere.

Nonetheless, I'm still spending less than I was when I commuted sixty miles (at least) per day six days a week. The Metro isn't great, but it serves my purposes and I'm glad to contribute that share of gasoline back to the world economy.

Anonymous said...

My wife and I drive a combined 85 miles to and from work each day. It adds up quickly. Thank G-d my wife has a good job as a pediatric nurse...

Ezzie said...

No car. No travel. Niiiice... :)

Jak Black said...

High gas prices affect everybody, if indirectly. The higher costs are passed from the truckers to the stores to the consumers. If you want high gas prices, come to Israel :)

Orthonomics said...

Jak-I should have clarified. We have kept our gas budget in line. But, our food spending has gone up as the prices of basic items have gone up.

have popcorn will lurk said...

We bit the bullet and made our annual trip out east (800 miles each way) last week (family reunion, but shorter trip overall). We spent about $200 on gas with the average being $3/gallon. It's still cheaper than flying.

Normally east coast prices are way higher than here in "flyover country", but that doesn't seem to be the case anymore. For years, though, gas stations here have played this game where prices will drop several cents a gallon mid-week and then be jacked up for the weekend and for Monday morning fillups.

Also - I do the bookkeeping for a small non-profit, and I see that some companies are passing on "fuel surcharges" to their customers ranging from 89 cents to $5, most notably the water delivery service and the trash collection company.

have popcorn will lurk said...

I forgot to say - if not for the 1800 miles we just put on our van, we'd get a break during the summer, as my daughter's school is 9.2 miles each way!

Scraps said...

No car--b"H, NYC has great public transportation.

Anonymous said...

bike, unless you're a girl in some chareid town, but then again kol kevudah bas melech penima right?

Charlie Hall said...

It has not affected our budget at all -- we take public transit a lot (we live in NYC).