Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Purim Wrap-Up

This year our Purim was fantastic. But the aftermath was even better (no hangovers in our family!) and provided me with a fantastic reminder of just how important it is to go beyond when performing a mitzvah.

As I mentioned in my previous post, we don't go all out on Mishloach Manot packages. In short our packages are rather tiny. Sometimes I feel bad receiving sizable packages when I know I've given only a quarter of what we have received if that. But, I prefer to do the baking myself and have my kids be a part of the effort in a tangible way (sorry, more shopping just isn't tangible. . . we already spend more than our fair share of time in grocery stores).

For the past few years my husband has asked me to take it easy and just do the minimum (2 packages) and send out cards. I think the cards are excellent (especially if I don't have to mail them), but I just haven't jumped on this boat yet despite the many benefits. Somehow making the packages, however minimal, makes Purim into Purim and I can't stop at the minimum because once I make for this person, I feel the need to make for that person.

Of course, when deciding who to make for we have to set limits or we will spend our entire day delivering packages which is frustrating and grueling. Therefore, we tend to limit ourselves to one small geographical area that is easy to hit in one small trip and we like to keep a number of extras on hand for those that are kind enough to stop by and see us.

This year we were headed out for the seudah and limited our geographical area severely. However, there are two old men (a bachelor of 80 and a widow of nearing 90) that we felt should be included despite our time constraints and we made an extra trip, albeit brief and albeit not far at all, to drop them mishloach manot. Since we hit the earliest minyanim, they were not home and we dropped the packages on their front doorstep.

On Monday, both men called to thank us for the packages and the thoughtfulness. The first left a message telling me he hadn't received any homemade hamentashen and just how delicious it was (for me there couldn't be a bigger compliment). The second was happy that we remembered him and was sad that he wasn't home when we came by. Baruch Hashem we did not cut our list even shorter despite the cold weather and the time constraints. I am constantly being reminded that there are people in every community who need to be remembered and who need simple acts of chessed.

Up next, a ton of Orthonomic topics that will hopefully interest you.

3 comments:

Independent Frum Thinker said...

I linked your blog on mine. Hope it generates some more traffic to you. :)

RaggedyMom said...

It's great that you remember to acknowledge those who are so often overlooked - and it inspires the rest of us to try to do the same!

Lion of Zion said...

"just do the minimum (2 packages)"

each person is obligated to give just one pakacage with two items (mishlo'ah manot ish le-re'ehu)