Thursday, April 30, 2009

Dayeinu or Enough Already?

I hope this version of Dayeinu never makes it into any Haggadah. I think "Enough Already" would be more appropriate than "Dayeinu." Please keep commenting away on the last post. Don't let it this take away from that. Nevertheless, a gem from this week's Yated:

Dear Editor,
Dearest Mommy and Abba amush,
I know Pesach is over, but it’s sefirah so we could still be in the Pesach spirit, right?!
Dayeinu!

If you would’ve brought me into the world,
And not have loved me from the time I was born,
Dayeinu!

If you would have loved me from the time I was born,
And not have given me food and sustenance all my life,
Dayeinu!

If you would have given me food and sustenance all my life,
And not have bought me clothing (and lots of it!),
Dayeinu!

If you would have bought me clothing (and lots of it!),
And not have given me a warm and loving home,
Dayeinu!

If you would have given me a warm and loving home,
And not have helped me blossom into a bas Yisroel,
Dayeinu!

If you would have helped me blossom into a bas Yisroel,
And not have guided me through my school years,
Dayeinu!

If you would have guided me through my school years,
And not have spent hours and hours worrying about my welfare,
Dayeinu!

If you would have spent hours and hours worrying about my welfare,
And not have done my laundry, cooked and cleaned for me,
Dayeinu!

If you would have done my laundry, cooked and cleaned for me,
And not spent thousands of dollars to let me go to seminary,
Dayeinu!

If you would have spent thousands of dollars to let me go to seminary,
And not given me even more money to spend over here,
Dayeinu!

If you would have given me even more money to spend over here,
And not have called, phoned and spoke to me all the time,
Dayeinu!

If you would have called, phoned and spoke to me all the time,
And not have sent me packages with every known soul going to Eretz Yisroel,
Dayeinu!

If you would have sent me packages with every known soul going to Eretz Yisroel,
And not bought me clothing and stuff even while I wasn’t there,
Dayeinu!

If you would have bought me clothing and stuff even while I wasn’t there,
And not have helped me with my plans for next year,
Dayeinu!

If you would have helped me with my plans for next year,
And not have been the best parents ever…
Dayeinu isn’t necessary...Because you are the best parents ever!

Love you tons, Rivky

10 comments:

Shoshana said...

"oy" or "ick"?

Avi Greengart said...

ick

Commenter Abbi said...

double ick. What's that about chareidim living a more spiritual life?

Shoshana said...

Where does it say anywhere that these are chareidim? I know plenty of girls who are from other "camps" and are living out the same princess existence.

Julie said...

I don't understand why everybody is jumping on this girl. Give the poor girl a break. She is thanking her parents for all the things that they have done for her. She recognizes that her parents have spend a lot of time and money caring for her and providing for her. (What? Was she supposed to pay her own bais yaakov tuition?) She does not see all these things as her due--in fact, she is saying dayenu. And she also does not say that they did all the cooking, cleaning, and laundry for her. It seems to me that she is thanking her mother (or father) for all the times that they cooked supper, washed the dishes or did the family laundry. Yes, her parents are probably doing too much for her while she is at seminary. But the young woman seems appreciative of everything that her parents did and continue to do for her.

Avi Greengart said...

@Julie - it's not the sentiment, it's the way it's voiced. I repeat, ick.

Orthonomics said...

The sentiment might be nice, but nearly every example here is materially oriented. I would hope that if my own adult child were to sit down and write a note of thanks it would point to inculcating values and middot, rather than thanks for things and services.

Commenter Abbi said...

Shoshana: SL said:
Nevertheless, a gem from this week's Yated:

Yated= charedi

Shoshana said...

I live OT and have no idea what Yated is. Doesn't look like I'm missing anything. ;)

nuqotw said...

She's around 18. She's still a kid in many ways. Many people are still too young then to appreciate the intangibles they got from their parents. They are old enough to appreciate that raising a kid is an extremely expensive endeavor, and that parents like, if possible, to give their children more than the bare minimum. If a kid recognizes that generosity and thanks his/her parents, so much the better. I was 22 before I was "on my own" enough to appreciate the intangibles enough to understand that thanks were in order.