Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Financial Blog RoundUp: March 22, 2006

With so many interesting financial and related subjects being discussed on blogs all over, it is easier to just point them out so that I can keep the growing list of planned posts I have flowing. So, once again, I am doing a "blog roundup."

I was remiss to not point out Marvin Schick's article entitled "Wealthy Charedim and Tuition Costs" in my last roundup. His articles on tuition are always a worthwhile read.

Marvin's son Joe Schick posted three times on the subject of tuition in March. Check out
More On Day School Expenses and Tuitions
A Guest Post, A Parent's Perspective On Yeshiva Tuitions
Joe's own views on Why Yeshivas Don't Receive Communal Support

Charlie Hall posts an old RCA release on Pesach Price Gouching and Excessive Chumrot. Quite appropriate as 'tis the season.

Jak Black reviews the Artscroll Bio of Rabbi Samson Raphel Hirsch . The last passage he brings down has to do with the appropriate age to start training a boy for a vocation (12 years old) if you see he is not headed to great heights in Torah. I'm a firm believer in focusing on the future. So, I liked the passage and am inspired to try to actually finish this biography which I have picked up and read the first 50 pages at least 5 times.

Jewboy's Musings touched upon a sad but real topic, the interplay between family size and tuitions. Readers comments definitely are making this an interesting read. Check out Pru Urvu?

And, last but not least, AlanLaz received some fiery comments (which gives a blog life) when he touched on the touchy topic of Meshulachim. Meanwhile, I am seeking a job as a Sunday driver for meshulachim. So, if anyone knows a collector who doesn't mind up riding around in a beat up old car (may this car live to 120) and is willing to pay a woman equal pay for equal work, shoot me an email.

Enjoy these blogs.

8 comments:

Joe Schick said...

See column in today's Jerusalem Post in support of tax credits: http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?cid=1139395652765&pagename=JPost%2FJPArticle%2FPrinter

Anonymous said...

I don't see how one can determine at the age of 12 whether a boy is destined to become a talmid chacham or an askan.

Rabbi Yisroel Reisman often tells the story of how he was far from the model student - so much so that one of his rebbeim, R' Nosson Sherman (of Artscroll fame) once told a story about how bad one of his students was...and it was "Srully Reisman." And yet, today he gives one of the biggest (if not the biggest) shiur in America; one that is broadcast via satelite all over the country to accommodate the hundreds who can't make it to Ahi Ezer every Motzei Shabbos.

I just don't see why age 12 needs to be the cut off date, why we give up so early, even before the child's formative years.

Orthonomics said...

Joe-Interesting article. I'm letting my thoughts settle. But, my current thinking is that the interest free loans idea, if it is rolled out, could become a "sexy" cause that would do nothing to help control costs and would do little to tangibly help middle class frum families.

When my thoughts settle, I'll make a post. The bottom line, I believe, is that tuition must be affordable. And, if you are debt financing to afford, even financing without interest, tuition has surpassed your affordability level.

Orthonomics said...

curious-I think the statement is hard to relate to if you are not part of a "Torah only" school.

Plus, I don't see any reason why a young boy cannot learn a trade and later change paths and bloom into a chacham.

Anonymous said...

"I just don't see why age 12 needs to be the cut off date, why we give up so early, even before the child's formative years."

Well, if he is to be a shoemaker, watercarrier, coachman, blacksmith or teamster, when will he start learning and working at his trade ??

Anonymous said...

Did you folks see this illuminating article about tzedakka collection in one prominent MO community ?

http://www.nj.com/news/ledger/jersey/index.ssf?/base/news-2/114226593260630.xml&coll=1

Charlie Hall said...

'later change paths '

I finished graduate school at age 37. My wife finished medical school at age 40. It *is* possible to change paths.

Orthonomics said...

Charlie-It certainly is possible. But, the bigger your family and more stretched your resources, the harder it is to do.

So, like I said in the comments at Jewboy's sight, "Easier Said Than Done."

Congrads, of course, to you and your wife. You obviously had drive, which is probably the most important ingredient of all.