Wednesday, July 26, 2006

EScrip: Support Jewish Education Without Forking Over Extra Cash From Your Own Pocket

Yesterday I received a publication with the title Smart Shopper. Being that I am swamped with things to do and I could probably write my own "Smart Shopper" magazine, this extra piece of mail nearly hit the trash.

But, when I realized that it was from EScrip, I took a look inside and discovered that I needed to send in a postcard that was attached to the inside if I wanted to continue contributing to my three designated schools by shopping at Safeway. So, I signed the card and dropped it in the mailbox.

Truth be told, I didn't shop that much at Safeway this year, so my shopping didn't net my designated schools much at all. (I hope that each of my three schools that I signed up to benefit didn't spend the whole $0.37 that I generated for them too quickly. :) ) But, I do believe that little bits of outside money that can be funneled into Jewish Education are important and that if we all made an effort to sign up with the many programs out there (I'm sure your local grocery store that you regularily shop at has a program to benefit schools), and get our neighbors, parents, and grandparents to sign up, there would be some impact.

Therefore, consider this a friendly reminder that if you are not already an EScrip member, that you should sign up, and that if you are an EScrip member you should send in the attached card in the magazine (and check out your school's "earning statement on the inside cover) to help benefit your designated schools. If you don't send in that card or re-register, you won't be contributing. So, don't ignore this pesky piece of junk mail.

When I signed up for EScrip, I did not register my credit cards. Besides Safeway, I don't believe there was a single participating vendor that I partronized. But, I was plesantly surprised that the list of participating vendors has increased substantially. I think I will have to give the company a call a register my credit cards now that I see places that I do shop from time to time on the list. (Maybe next year I can net $3.00 in total ;). But, on a serious note, if 2000 families netted $3.00 a piece, that would be $6000 more, and nothing to laugh at).

Any readers who know of similiar programs, please drop a note and I will advertise those programs here too. If they are regional, please specify the region. Thanks!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

www.schoolpop.com is another way of donating to schools while shopping on line.

mother in israel said...

I saw an ad for a credit card that gives a 5% discount (up to a certain amount; I would exceed it with only one school) to yeshiva high school tuition in Israel. It looked like the cost of signing up would be too high--I don't need another credit card anyway. Most Israeli companies have a different mentality about PR and discounts tend not to be so great.

Anonymous said...

When i signed up for my Target credit card they asked which school I wanted to benefit. That was a long time ago, but it is something to look into.

Anonymous said...

Stores like SuperSol participate in the Count on Me program. Another thing that SuperSol has offered (I heard if this a few years ago, so I don't know that it is current) is payment for one's tab at the store paid through the school. I suppose that the school then takes its 5% or so. For Count on Me, the proceeds are 3%

Anonymous said...

Yes, Target still has the program, although it does limit you to one school. Makes me feel a little less guilty about using that card.

For online shopping, there's also a site called Igive.com. If you're school (or organization) is not yet listed, you can become an administrator. There are a lot of links to many online vendors. The only catch is that your purchase must originate with a link from igive.com - basically the same as using what you do to gain American Airlines miles from their advantage online vendors.