Wednesday, December 27, 2006

What Makes for a Great Leader?

Today I was listening to a talk show in the car and a conversation ensued about the leadership of the now deceased former President Gerald Ford. A caller, who was present at a back room strategy planning meeting for the 1976 Republican Presidential nomination, relayed some words of former President Ronald Reagan. Then former CA governor Reagan made some observations (which I'm sad I can' repeat word for word, because my summary misses the pure brilliance). In opposition to the suggested nomination of Gerald Ford, Reagan pointed out that he had no major accomplishments and lacked strong leadership skills, which would lead to the downfall of the Republican party and the rise and presidency of Jimmy Carter. Reagan made the observation that leaders face opposition, make enemies, and through their strength in the face of opposition, they become accomplished.

This conversation really got me thinking about gadlut and leadership (lay and Rabbinic) in the Jewish world, of present and past. What are the qualities of great leaders? Must they always face opposition?

I'm sure that we can all think of historic accomplishments which came at the hands of great opposition and resistance. I'm sure we can think of serious halachic issues that spurred great debate, some quite vicious.

What qualities must a leader have? Must they always face opposition or resistance? My short answer would be passion, vision, sincerity, [update: integrity], focus on what he/she wants to accomplish without spreading oneself thin (not a jack of all trades), inspires others to action (or even fierce opposition), ongoing commitment to the vision.

But, my answer is far from complete. So I will leave this discussion in your hands.

2 comments:

Lion of Zion said...

i would add integrity to your list

Orthonomics said...

I would too. Thanks. :)