Friday, December 29, 2006

Rabbi Horowitz Responds: Keeping Our Children Safe Part II

Rabbi Horowitz tackled a response to my letter in Part I. Part II is now online it is a "Grand Slam." He is a brave man for tackling this issue in response to my letter. And Part II has given me a lot of food for thought in regards to healthy parenting. As always, a must read.

And, do NOT skip the links to past related topics. He also covers a famous sexual abuse scandal that I had intended to address on this blog after it was featured on Nightline. I had typed and trashed so many versions of my post that I finally just gave up. The fact that the only reason this particular predator was reported to the cops was because he abused neighborhood Italian children and that nobody in the frum community would say a word was infuriating. Rabbi Horowitz takes a look at the failed communal policy of "zipped lips."

Take a look. Discuss there and please discuss here too. Unfortunately, I cannot paste the article due to computer difficulties right now. So, follow the links.

Shabbat Shalom.

2 comments:

mother in israel said...

I also followed the links within the post, especially the response to a woman named Goldie. Anyway, here's the comment I posted there on part II.

"I think you made many excellent points. My only quibble is that your last point, about teaching children not to do anything that makes them uncomfortable, should also be applied to touching. In other words, children (and adults) should not allow anyone to touch them anywhere or in any way that makes them uncomfortable. Pinching cheeks, tickling, slaps on the back, and unwelcome kissing and hugging are all examples that come to mind. I don't see the point of teaching them specifically to be wary of people who touch their privates. I agree that they should be taught that their privates have a special status, just not only in relation to being touched by others."

Anonymous said...

fyi - http://www.jta.org/page_view_story.asp?intarticleid=17472&intcategoryid=4