Monday, May 14, 2007

Life Skills

Rabbi Horowitz's next Mishpacha column is up on his website here. He looks at the necessity of teaching "life skills" to our children and how it falls under the umbrella of the obligation to teach one's son a vocation.

Quite frankly, the fact that we need to even have a discussion about acquiring basic life skills is astounding and borders on insane. The world is such that your average person must utilize basic math, composition, and oratory skills on a regular basis. To allow children to graduate high school without these skills is nearly criminal.

In my two former workplaces, management administered a written exam before they would even conduct an interview for hiring. I do not believe that this is common procedure in most offices or most professions, but I think it is a fine idea and if I were to ever open my own firm and hire my own employees., I would conduct a written exam. As the employee who was more often than not assigned to take new auditors out into the field to teach basic audit technique and work paper composition, I have found that employees lacking communication skills are like dead weight. Imagine what it would be like working with those who didn't even get through the interview process!

Unfortunately, many of our children are lacking basic life skills. I had the opportunity to teach in a Girls High School and had students who could not produce an organized, concise, grammatically correct short paragraph or even sentence. Forget spelling! One would think that they had unintentionally entered a conversation on Instant Messenger if they saw the work that was submitted to me. (Girls, the word before is not spelled b4, too/to is not 2, and for is not 4!). I had other high school students who did not know the order of operations or who could not add fractions with different denominators, much less apply their skills to a basic word problem (heck, they were not even being assiged word problems). I'm not sure that these girls will be able to project a household budget, although some of them are now engaged/married and will be expected to support or partially support their household. And when I pulled out my red pen, they cried bloody murder all the way to the administrator's office, where I got slapped on the wrist for hurting their self-esteem.

I believe that what we include in a yeshiva or day school curriculum should be deliberate. I do not believe that we need to teach every subject that is taught in other schools. But we cannot afford to ignore basic skills that are necessary for everyday living.

Many will argue that the lengthy school day and the demands of a proper kodesh curriculum do not allow enough time to concentrate on these skills. I would argue that many of these skills can be incorporated into the kodesh curriculum, bringing with them a side benefit of increased respect for the general studies staff (the current disrespect being a large impediment to successfully teaching these skills). I do not believe one need to write and present their thesis on a theme in a Shakespeare work to become proficient in composition. One could present an essay on a theme in the parsha that could be reviewed by the Rebbe and the English teacher. A student could orally present Divrei Torah throughout the year and be graded on their presentation and speaking skills.

Or, as my 9th grade English teacher used to say, I won't tell you what you write about in your journal, just write, write, and write because you will be writing for the rest of your life. I don't know if I believed him at the time. . . . but I'm still writing!

18 comments:

Ariella's blog said...

But the development of writing skills also relies on exposure to models of good writing, as well as feedback from an instructor to guide the student through drafting, revising, and editing. That is very time consuming for the teacher, which is why it is often given short shrift -- and not just in yeshivas. Trust me many public school graduates enter college completely clueless about how to write.d

Orthonomics said...

Good points!

The high school I taught at limits the teachers (maybe only LC teachers?) to 20 minutes of homework a night. One will never be able to learn to write with such little skills as they can neither gain the exposure or the practice.

But, we have to start somewhere, right?

Orthonomics said...

Should read such little time dedicated to the matter. . . . just shows what lack of time can produce. :)

BubbyT said...

I used to type papers for Yeshiva students going to college. The lack of writing ability was astounding!

Anonymous said...

bubbyt---- why couldn't they type their own papers????? Or do I not want to know?

Chaim B. said...

>>>I'm not sure that these girls will be able to project a household budget, although some of them are now engaged/married and will be expected to support or partially support their household.

Of course they won't be able to do a budget because they don't see any need to. See this post
http://jewishworker.blogspot.com/2007/05/should-kollel-families-have-family.html
citing a letter to HaModia which argued that kollelniks or their wives should deliberately not figure out a household budget because kollel families have special siyata d'shemaya and knowing 'objective' facts and figures will just cause families to lose heart [i.e. to face reality] and leave kollel. This, unfortunately, is the world we live in.

Pragmatician said...

At work I'm the one who can spell.
I'm not kidding, part of my job is to spell certain words (not particularly complicated ones, I'm not a professional) for colleagues.

Spelling and grammar shouldn't be a 'talent'.

Ariella's blog said...

But those who are clueless about spelling, grammar, mechanics, and writing in general could argue that they are still holding their jobs and earning a salary. That is why I don't argue for education as a means to an end. In most people's mind, the end is a job. So you see people who not educated have a job. Therefore, one does not really need an education. That is a logical argument given the premise. However, if the premise about the goal is different, then the argument would not hold. I'm getting into the rhetoric aspect of composition and rhetoric here. ;-)

Orthonomics said...

Ariella,
Again you make great points. And there are even plenty of high paid professionals that can't write, or organize their thoughts, etc (I've cleaned up some of their work!).

I'm not sure what is the best way to impress upon some of our schools/Rabbis/parents the importance of education in general.

Why don't you post something on your blog. :)

Anonymous said...

Great post! I am thankful each day that I don't have to take first year audit staff out to do field work. It wasnt so bad 10 years ago, but lately what I see even at the big firms is appalling. I moved into industry, and of course when audit time rolls around and our "big-4" auditors come out, I am totally shocked at the communication level of some of their staff.

A classic example before I left public (at a big 6 firm mind you). About 6 years ago a colleague of mine brought me a memo (for workpapers, not an email) from a staff person to show me that the staff person had used an emoticon in the memo. He was completely shocked when he received this, and of course started wondering where the work place preparedness is of new graduates.....the sadest part was that it was a frum "yeshiva" guy with a black velvet yarmulke that had written the memo (not that it couldnt have been someone secularly educated).

Anonymous said...

When I was a grad student, I used to have to TA for college students at one of the UCs. I once had a student come to me, having difficulty solving a density problem, that was actually quite easy. When I walked her through the problem step by step, turned out that she was struggling because she did not know basic fraction multiplication/division or addition/subtraction. I was nice about it, but did frankly tell her that fractions were middle school math that she ought to be able to do when taking intro college chem, and that the textbook, professor, etc. were all working from that assumption, which is why none of the examples had gotten into the nitty gritty details. Of course, she didn't like hearing that, so went and complained to the professor that I was condescending and had made her feel stupid, without tellig the prof what I said. The best part was, when I explained it to the prof, she still said that I should not have told her that we expected her to be able to do fractions (even though we did!). No wonder these kids can't function.

RaggedyMom said...

Aack! My pet peeves were graduate school classmates who wrote things like "half to" for "have to" and "should of" for "should have." I think the problem is more widespread than the yeshiva system, and stems from laziness and/or lack of exposure to correct forms via reading. But since we have big goals for our kids, we ought to have at least minimal expectations that their "life skills" not be atrocious!

Lion of Zion said...

do you think the average yeshivah kid is any worse or better than the average public school kid? (of course the difference is that we should expect more for all the money we pay.)

p.s. i am familiar with the minutiae of english grammar, including capitalization. i just type this way in comments because it is quicker. (i have weak pinkies.)

Unknown said...

how do you do parentheses without hiting the shift key?

Unknown said...

Sorry, I misspelled hitting. Oh well.

Orthonomics said...

Ari,
Excellent question. We know that too many public school students lack basic life skills also. As you know, I attended public school, but have also been inside the walls of a few Orthodox day schools.

I'd say the lack of basic skills depends on the school. I don't see this as an issue in Modern Orthodox Schools particularly. I do see it as a problem amongst more right wing schools. In general there is a lack of interest (or even down hostility) in the English Department that rubs off on the children. That certainly the education we are giving our kids.

Anonymous said...

trying to promote "self-esteem" without being allowed to make the kids do work is one of the roots of this issue. I wouldn't blame this on a focus on kodesh subjects, rather buying into pop psychology without having a background into sound educational theory and practice.

Orthonomics said...

Anon-I agree with you completely and would loe to find time to blog this subject too. If you'd like to write it up, you can guest post. :)